Per multiple requests (notably from Clyde Roher and Jake Richmond), this episode starts off with some commentary on the different genres of anime and manga. From there I get into how genres work in general, and then how we view genres in role-playing games. This also kinda sorta marks a new “season” of the YKZ podcast, hence the new font in the title image and new theme song.
- Anime and Manga Genres
- Ogiue Maniax on OEL Manga and Screentone
- Anime/Manga Titles Mentioned: Dragon Ball, Once Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Card Captor Sakura, Fruits Basket, Monster, Black Lagoon, Hellsing, K-On!, Bamboo Blade, Battle Vixens, Eagle, Gunsmith Cats, Parasyte, Alien Nine, Honey and Clover, Sgt. Frog, Tokyo Mew Mew, Record of the Lodoss War, Slayers, Minky Momo, Sailor Moon, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Tetsujin #28, Giant Robo, Macross, Gundam, Evangelion, Nadesico
- Dreamland Japan by Frederick L. Schodt, a 1996 book that examines manga culture at length.
- Neal Stephenson on Science Fiction and Genre
- Lost Garden: Game Genre Life Cycle Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV
This podcast uses selections from the song “Time Machine” by To-den from the Grünemusik album of the same name, available for free from Jamendo.com. If you like the song, consider buying some CDs from Nankado’s website or via Jamendo.
Very awesome caricature of Ewen courtesy of the talented C. Ellis.